When there is insufficient saliva in the mouth, dry mouth occurs. For a better understanding of why dry mouth is harmful, read below:
– It may come as a surprise to learn that saliva is important for your oral health because it neutralizes acids on your teeth, washes away harmful bacteria, and helps keep your mouth fresh from food particles.
– Side effects of dry mouth consist of an heightened risk of tooth decay, a sore throat, issues breathing or swallowing, and difficulty chewing properly.
– Although this is rare, if you have a dry mouth, this may be an indication of an autoimmune disease known as Sjogren’s syndrome, in which your body’s immune system inadvertently attacks the salivary glands and other glands in your body.
– Dry mouth is a risk factor for other oral health conditions, such as periodontal disease and cavities.
– Dry mouth can be caused by a variety of products. It may be a side effect of a certain medication that you are taking.
Our team at Cen-Tex Dental concentrates on a variety of dry mouth treatments to work with all your needs. If you would like a visit with our dentist in Killeen, Texas, please book an appointment to come visit us at our office by calling (254) 213-6300.